– recipe –
apricot-glazeD fish braai
– RECIPE –
apricot-glazed fish braai
Prep time: 15 + 60 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Works well with: Snoek, Yellowtail, Jacopever, Silver, any fresh Fish With A Story
Occasion: Special occasion, Braai, Get togethers
1 whole fish, about 3 kg
milled black pepper
125 ml smooth apricot jam
45 ml worcestershire sauce
lemon wedges, for squeezing
- Cut off the fish head and vlek open so that it hinges at the belly. Leave the skin on.
- Season lightly with coarse salt and set aside for 30–60 minutes to firm up and flavour the fish.
- Rinse off the salt and season the fish with a little pepper.
- Brush both the fish and a hinged grid with oil.
- Place the fish on the grid.
- Mix together the jam and worcestershire sauce and liberally brush the flesh side of the fish.
- Close the grid and brown, flesh-side first, over hot coals. This will take about 5–10 minutes, depending on the heat of the coals.
- Turn the fish, baste again and cook skin-side down for about 10 minutes more until cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.