– recipe –
pickled fish tacos
pickled fish tacos
Serves: Makes 12 tacos
Prep time: 30 minutes (+ pickled fish preparation)
Works well with: Cape Bream, any Fish With A Story
Occasion: Get together, Quick eats
12 Wonton wrappers – deep-fried and shaped to form a shell
200 ml aioli
50 g wild rocket
salsa (recipe below)
1 kg pickled fish (recipe below) – best made at least 24 hours in advance.
150 g chopped tomatoes
1 x red onion chopped finely
25 g coriander chopped
salt and pepper
15 ml olive oil
Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
1 kg Cape Bream, cut into portions
150 g sugar
500 ml white vinegar
5 ml whole cumin
5 ml coriander seeds, toasted & crushed
10 ml fish spice
3 bay leaves
5 ml mild curry powder
3 x crushed garlic cloves
5 ml grated ginger
3 x chopped onions
10 ml corn flour
2 tbsp sunflower oil for frying
flour, for dusting
salt and black pepper
- In a pan over a medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and gently sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic and spices and fry gently for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Thicken with corn flour to a nice coating consistency.
- Season to taste.
- Dust the fish with the seasoned flour and pat off any excess.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based frying pan and, when hot, fry the fish until golden.
- Place a layer of fish in a deep sterile glass or non-metallic container and pour a little of the hot sauce over it, to cover. Continue layering fish and sauce until all the fish is covered. Cool, then chill until ready to serve.
- Flake the pickled fish and combine with the onions and a little sauce. Season to taste.
- Fill the taco shells with a little wild rocket, pickled fish and top with salsa and aioli.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.