– recipe –
smoked fish bruschetta
SMOKED FISH BRUSCHETTA
Serves: 6 for snacks or starters
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Works well with: Cape Bream, any Fish With A Story
Occasion: Quick eats, Effortless entertaining, Easter
Tip: Follow the instructions below to prepare your own home smoker, or simply use leftover Fish With A Story from your braai.
400 g fresh Fish With A Story
15 ml smoking chips
100 g cream cheese
10 g coriander, chopped
10 g chives, chopped
10 g parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
jalapeno and apricot salsa (see below)
2 hot cross buns
extra coriander to garnish
Jalapeno and apricot salsa
50 g dried apricots (soft variety), finely chopped
½ red onion, chopped
10 ml parsley, chopped
10 ml balsamic syrup
salt and pepper
40 g chopped jalapeno chillis
Chop and combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Place in a smoker with smoking chips and cook for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
To create your own home-smoker: Place a pot on the stove at a medium heat, add 15 smoking chips and light the chips with a match. Place the fish in a metal colander inside the pot and top with a lid. Allow the fish to smoke for 10 minutes or until cooked. Remove the fish and allow to cool.
- Flake the fish and combine with cream cheese, herbs, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the hot cross buns into six slices each and toast in the oven until lightly golden.
- Place the smoked fish paté on the hot cross bun bruschetta, top with apricot salsa and garnish with coriander.