– recipe –
asian flavours fish with a story
asian flavours fish with STORY
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Works well with: any Fish With A Story
Occasion: Get togethers
2 plate-sized Fish With A Story
4 sprigs coriander
2 garlic cloves sliced
1 lime or half a lemon sliced
Garnish (all optional)
Crispy fried shallots (store-bought)
Sliced spring onions
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
small piece of ginger, grated
Nuoc cham dipping sauce
3 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
50 g caster sugar
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- Make the Papaya salad – follow the recipe here or simplify it by using shredded papaya and carrots and sprinkle over sliced spring onion or shallots, fresh coriander, basil (or Thai basil) and mint leaves, and chopped up roasted salted peanuts. You could also scale up the nuoc cham dipping sauce as above and use some of that to dress the salad.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Cut a few diagonal slits into the flesh of the fish and mix up the basting ingredients. Liberally brush the fish with this basting inside the cavity and on either side making sure to get into the grooves.
- Fill each cavity with 2 sprigs of coriander, a sliced garlic clove and a couple of slices of limes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast 25 minutes or until cooked.
- While the fish is roasting mix up the nuoc cham sauce and make the salad.
- Serve the fish whole on a platter garnished with crispy onions, sliced shallots/spring onions, fresh coriander and the nuoc cham drizzled over and served on the side.