– recipe –
yellowtail WITH RED HARISSA
yellowtail with red harissa
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 7-10 minutes
Works well with: Yellowtail, any Fish With A Story
Occasion: Dining in, Effortless entertaining
Chefs notes: Start by making the polenta chips as they need to chill and set before frying. While the polenta chips are cooling, prep the red harissa.
2 x 200 g fillets of Yellowtail With A Story
100 g fine green beans
red harissa (see below)
polenta chips (see below)
edible flower, for garnishing
1 cup polenta
3 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp cumin seeds
- Put the vegetable stock in a saucepan and let it simmer.
- Heat another saucepan and lightly toast the cumin seeds, then add the dry polenta.
- Start adding the warm stock one ladle at a time and keep stirring the polenta.
- When the polenta is cooked through it should taste non gritty, then season with sea salt and pepper.
- Cover a square deep tray or dish with cling film.
- Spread the polenta about 5cm thick and leave to set in the fridge.
1 red pepper
1 clove garlic
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp ginger, chopped
15 ml red wine/fynbos vinegar
- You can roast the red pepper by putting it whole in the oven, but for the best flavour try burning it on a gas hob or outside on a fire.
- Once the skin is blackened put it in a bowl and cover with cling film (or in a Ziplock bag) to steam so you can remove the skin.
- After about 5 minutes put the pepper under a tap and wash off the skin with the seeds still intact.
- Put the peeled roasted pepper in a blender.
- In a non-stick pan toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds and paprika for 1 minute, don’t burn the spices.
- Add toasted spices to blender.
- Add the garlic, ginger, sea salt & pepper and red wine vinegar.
- Turn on blender and drizzle in the olive oil to create an emulsion.
- Set aside or in the fridge.
- Turn on a fryer/air fryer or a pan with oil on the stove for the polenta.
- Cut your polenta into chips (I usually cut quite fat ones, but it is up to you).
- Heat up a frying pan with a little olive oil for the fish.
- Season your fish fillet with sea salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Put a sauce pan on with hot water. Once it is simmering add a pinch of sea salt and cook beans for 4 minutes. Remove the beans, set aside and dress with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Cook the fish, skin-side down first, then turn and cook through for approximately 7 minutes (it is best if you just keep checking in on it, there is not a fixed time for cooking fish).
- Once the fish is in the pan, drop your polenta fries in the hot oil until they are golden and crispy, then drain on paper towel and set aside.
- To plate, put the harissa on the plate and smear it by dragging the back of a spoon through it. Plate the green beans and place the fish on top. Stack the cumin polenta chips and garnish with edible flowers.